- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces dark chocolate candy coating, chopped
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening, peanut butter, 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork, forming a crisscross pattern.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until set (do not overbake). Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Spread a heaping teaspoonful on the bottom of each cookie; place chocolate side up on waxed paper until set.
- To make ice cream sandwiches, place 1/4 cup ice cream on the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Wrap in plastic wrap; freeze on a baking sheet overnight. Yield: 16 servings.
Here’s the link to the original site