- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c. cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 T. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 additional egg white
- 2 T. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c. pecans, finely chopped
- 14 soft caramel candies
- 3 T. heavy cream
Chocolate Drizzle (optional):
- 2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tsp. shortening
- Prepare the Cookies: Combine flour, cocoa, and salt; set aside.
- With electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolk, milk, and vanilla; mix until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture until just combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, 1 hour.
- Whisk egg whites in a bowl until frothy. Place chopped pecans in another bowl. Roll chilled dough into 1-inch balls, dip in egg whites, and then roll in pecans. Place balls about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Using a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon, make an indentation in the center of each dough ball.
- Bake at 350 degrees until set, about 12 minutes.
- Prepare the Caramel Filling: Microwave caramels and cream together in a small bowl, stirring occasionally, until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Once cookies are removed from the oven, gently re-press the indentations. Fill each indentation with about 1/2 teaspoon of the caramel mixture. Cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the Chocolate Drizzle (optional): Place chocolate and shortening in a small zip-top plastic bag. Set bag in a bowl of warm water to soften. Gently knead the chocolate with your fingers until melted and smooth, placing back in the warm water for a minute or two as needed.
- Snip a very small hole in the corner of the plastic bag. Drizzle chocolate over the cooled Turtle Cookies.